Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Caliente!


I recently sent out a large stack of thank you notes in dainty pastel envelopes, complete with these saucy stamps. When I asked for a sheet of stamps, the woman at the post office asked me if I wanted Finding Nemo or Latin Music Legends, and clearly I went for the latter. 1) It felt like it was a trick question, aimed at testing my cultural literacy, and 2) I've wanted to be Latina since I was in middle school and saw the music video for Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie." I actually stood up from the TV, marched into the kitchen, where my father was eating breakfast, and announced, "I want to be Latina." He was quite amused, but also pretty unsympathetic. He wasn't going to give his perpetually pale daughter any false hopes. Ten years later, I give you the Latin Music Legends stamps. I can't wait until my relatives in rural Maine get their thank you notes.

PS If you'd like the sensuous face of Selena to grace your mail box, please send me a graduation card cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment